50 children among 76 killed by US forces in Heart
HERAT, Aug 22: US-led coalition forces killed 76 civilians in western Afghanistan on Friday, most of them children, the Interior Ministry said.
The coalition denied killing civilians.
Civilian deaths in military operations have become an emotive issue among Afghans, many of whom feel international forces take too little care when launching air strikes, undermining support for their presence.
“Seventy-six civilians, most of them women and children, were martyred today in a coalition forces’ operation in Herat province,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
Coalition forces bombarded the Azizabad area of Shindand district on Friday afternoon, the ministry said. Nineteen of the victims were women, seven of them men and the rest children under the age of 15, it said.
US-led coalition forces denied killing any civilians. They said 30 militants had been killed in an air strike in Shindand district in the early hours of Friday and no further air strikes had been launched in the area later in the day.
Air strikes were called between 1am and 2am after Afghan and coalition soldiers were ambushed by the militants while on a patrol targeting a known Taliban commander in Herat, the US military said in a statement.
“Insurgents engaged the soldiers from multiple points within the compound using small-arms and RPG fire,” it said. “The joint forces responded with small-arms fire and an air strike killing 30 militants.”
Taliban commander: Saeed Sharif, an elder and member of a local council where the strike took place, told Reuters many civilians were killed.
“Last night, around 2am some people were attending a holy Quran recitation in Shindand district when Americans started bombing. Tens of civilians were killed,” said Sharif.
A senior police commander in western Afghanistan confirmed the incident but could not say how many civilians died.
“More than 30 people have been killed. I cannot say how many of them are civilians,” General Ikramuddin Yawar said.
A spokesman for the Defence Ministry in Kabul said US special forces and Afghan troops had been carrying out an operation against a commander named Mulla Sidiq, who was planning to attack a US base in Herat.
“Twenty-five Taliban were killed, including Sidiq and one other commander,” said spokesman General Zaher Azimi.
“Unfortunately, five civilians were killed in the bombing.”—Reuters
Chance favours the prepared mind.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)